Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Back to Guatemala

In another couple of days I'll be heading back to Guatemala. I think it's my seventh trip, and I'm as excited as usual. My first two trips were to construct ovens for Safe Passage by the Guatemala City dump. The dump experience is one I'll never forget. You can see the ovens being constructed on YouTube.
More recently, I've been going to Guatemala with a group called Masons On A Mission and we build energy efficient stoves for the Mayas in the villages around Lake Atitlan.

Besides building stoves, I've been trying to learn how to make corn tortillas, and I'm probably the only male who has attempted this is Guatemala. It's definitely not something that men do, but the women are quite accommodating in letting me participate. As hard as I try to make a tortilla that the Mayas approve of, I'm quite confident I'll achieve another failure.

No comments: