Thursday, November 10, 2011

Firewood

If you're planning to build a wood-fired oven, then you should really learn a lot about firewood.
A couple of years ago I cut down a white birch tree and sawed it into 16" lengths. I didn't bother to split it, thinking that the birch would simply dry in the woodshed, and I was in no rush. Just last week I started to split it, and I discovered that the wood was rotten inside. The lesson for me was that firewood really needs to be split after its cut so it can dry out properly. This is particularly true of white birch because the bark is highly water-resistant, and if the birch is not split, then the moisture stays inside and damages the firewood. Probably because birch bark forms such a protective coat, the Native Americans used it for canoe construction and vessels to hold water. For great information about firewood go to this website.


Old tire sits on chopping block to prevent firewood from flying helter skelter when split.





                           

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stu- Hey, I do that tire thing as well, it's the best thing since sliced bread!
Jesse

Breadhunter aka Stu Silverstein said...

Okay, I'll try it.
Stu