Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wild Mushrooms

While waiting for the dough to rise, I love to get into the forest and search for wild mushrooms. I've been doing this for a very long time, and it is one of my most satisfying pleasures. Yes, you can use wild mushrooms for toppings on your wood-fired pizza creations.
A few of the wild mushrooms I eat are shown below, but not the very last one


  Black trumpet

 Chanterelle

 Inky cap

 Sulphur shelf or chicken mushroom

If you're far from field and forest, there is still hope for you. I frequently find lots of inky cap mushrooms right in town.
Get a field guide and use the web for identification. Understand that a few common edible mushrooms can cause an allergic reaction with some people, and poisonous mushrooms can cause a lot worse things than that.
One of my favorite quotes in reference to the edibility of amanita muscaria "though not usually fatal, it is an experience not easily forgotten."

Amanita muscaria

No comments: