Friday, May 23, 2008

Bread Oven Australia


sourdough.com.au/johndownes/
"John Downes started the modern sourdough movement in Australia, circa 1978 at Feedwell, in Greville st Prahran (VIC). John was the original owner of Natural Tucker Bakery, Firebrand bakery and the Newrybar Bakery. Because of John, Australian's began their journey in style: 100% sourdough made with organic flour."

The oven pictured looks to me like one of the most inefficient ovens I've ever seen. Although the oven is still being constructed, I can't see where there would be room to insulate it. Besides, the oven opening is large enough to fit in a heifer, and the chimney...Well, let's just assume a bakery will be built over the oven. Notice the wood storage space under the oven, but it's off to the side. I wonder why. With this arrangement, it might be difficult and awkward to get close to the oven opening.
In spite of what I just said, the breads certainly look superb.

No comments: